If you’re looking for a sweet birthday theme, it’s hard to go past bees! They are simple, cute and plenty of fun for a theme, giving you free reign when it comes to pulling together an amazing party. Check out this bee-themed birthday party for a little inspiration. Of course, the centre feature of any party is the cake! If you’re looking for a gorgeous DIY bee cake that you can manage on your own, this is it. Thanks to Canan for sharing with us!
- Bee Cake
- 4 x Cole mud cakes (or the slab that can be cut)
- Buttercream (see this recipe)
- Yellow fondant
- Gold leaf (see here)
- Flowers – can grab some from the garden and also mix up with some fake flowers
- Cookie cutter (for the fondant)
- Using a store bought cake is a great way to save yourself a little time with this creation. You can either buy the individual Coles mud cakes (and simply remove the icing), or go for this mud cake slab and cut to size. The choice is yours!
3. Create a crumb coat. This first coat of buttercream is the best way to create the shape of your cake. If you have the space, pop it in the fridge to allow this coat to set. It’s called a crumb coat as plenty of the crumbs will get mixed up into it – and that’s fine. The next layer will cover these up.
You can have fun decorating your cake anyway you like.
Canan has cut out hexagon fondant shapes (the bee hives) and popped them around the cake.
She has also used gold leaf, which gives the perfect shimmer effect.
Then, of course, the flowers! You can go real, fake, or a mix of both for the decorating. Have fun with it. Check out all the products in the ingredients list above.
Need more tips when it comes to planning that next important occasion? Check out our DIY party planning checklist and get started today!