Do you know someone turning 18 soon? If you’re looking for the perfect 18th birthday cake, then you’ve come to the right place. Better yet, this one involves no cooking at all! Mum Annie Louise shares how she pulled together this incredible Bundaberg Rum birthday cake for her son’s 18th.
- 4 Woolworths mud cakes
- 3 paper straws
- Chocolate icing
- New hair comb
- Licorice straps
- Black sprinkles
- Hard boiled lollies
Bundaberg 18th Birthday cake method
- Stack all four Woolworths mud cakes on top of each other on a cake board, with buttercream in between the layers.
- As the cake is so tall, it helps to push in three paper straws to help stabilise the whole thing.
- Grab a knife and get shaping into a barrel shape.
- Next apply a crumb coat layer of buttercream then pop the cake in freezer to chill.
- Now cover with chocolate icing.
- Time to get out that new hair comb and cut it to have about 10 bristles. Use this to mark out the wood grain patterns. You can also use a toothpick.
- Grab a cake smoother and use it to mark the straight lines to make it look like separate panels of wood.
- Place the cake in the freezer again to cool.
- Cut liquorice straps in half and wrap them around to look like bands.
- Put the cake back in freezer to stick them sold to the icing.
- Stick on the black sprinkle balls with a dob of icing to look like the nails.
- Finally, place bottles on top (they make the best cake toppers!) and crushed hard-boiled lollies inside to look like ice!
Voila! Add some sparklers and you’re good to go.